26 responses

1. Bruce Hagelthorn
    January 19, 2011

I love the Optragate, especially for full arch impressions. Nice write-up, Mike

2. Warren Bobinski
    January 20, 2011

75% of my customers use this product – I highly recommended this product!

Warren Bobinski
    The Everything Dental Guy.
    Success in Dentistry and Life.

3. The Dental Warrior
    January 20, 2011

Thanks for the comments, Bruce and Warren. I think this is one of those “best kept secrets” in dentistry. Your percentage of use is amazing, Warren… and probably speaks of your relationship with your clients. But, I believe most dentists are NOT aware of this product. And, it could make their daily work flow much easier and less stressful.

4. Mark Frias
    January 21, 2011

Easier and less stress is the key : ).

5. Mark Frias
    January 23, 2011

How well would this product work in conjunction with the Isolite? As a hygienist, I use the Isolite when I use my cavitron and prophyjet (primarily on ortho patients). With the prophyjet I use my fingers to retract the patient’s lips and block the spray. I’m thinking the Isolite/Optragate combo will work well.

• The Dental Warrior
      January 23, 2011

I’ve heard of the two being used in combination. But, I haven’t tried it yet. Would probably work very well for cavitron / prophyjet use.

6. Cris Duval
    January 29, 2011

The Optragate is a “must have” for hygienists as well! It makes doing perio therapy, using a laser and ozone a breeze. The Optragate lifts the lips and cheeks out of the way increasing your view and accessability.

7. Jonathan Campbell
    February 4, 2011

Optragate + Isolite is sweet.

With impressions I have had latex contamination of my preps from the oprtagate that inhibited the setting of my PVS impression materials. Its happened more than once. If your careful to rinse off the teeth and keep the optragate away from the teeth after rinsing, then there is no problem and it is a great adjunct to full arch impressions.

• The Dental Warrior
      February 4, 2011

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for chiming in. I believe the contamination you’re speaking of is coming from your gloves (and that is a valid concern). And, I’ve seen that happen, too. It’s not the Optragate. I say this because the Optragate is non-latex.

• Jonathan
        February 5, 2011

My post should have read “latex-like”. I have definitely had some impressions that failed to set following use of the optragate and the optragate use seems to be the only variable to explain the failure to set of the PVS. It would be a simple test. Squire PVS some on a recently opened oprtagate. See if it sets in the anticipated time. I’ll do it and let you know. Enjoying the blog so far.

• The Dental Warrior
        February 5, 2011

Let me know… if I don’t beat ya to the test! 🙂 Should be interesting. I haven’t had that problem, yet. But, it could be because I usually power-wash my preps before impressing, anyway. Good stuff to know at any rate.

8. Alan Mead
    August 21, 2011

Mike and others…

I want to love this product but I have a hard time putting it in? Any suggestions? I place arch and a half rubber dams all day long but just don’t have the hang of getting this thing in place! It always wants to slip off the top or bottom lip.

Thanks!

Al

9. Alan Mead
    August 21, 2011

O.K. I think I know what my problem is. I think I’m trying to use the “regular” size and it’s too big. I’ll try the smalls tomorrow.

10. Nick
    June 27, 2014

The Optragate is awesome! Really helps !