Why do I like guns?
- They are simple mechanical devices and among the few durable items that can be as functional 100 years later as the day they were made.
- They are powerful. It’s an explosion you can hold in your hands.
- They are a tool that enables me to defend the lives of my loved ones and my own. It’s a seat belt for life!
- They represent independence and self-reliance.
- They are functional art. Some firearms are beautiful to behold.
- They go BANG! They are loud. Did I mention it’s an explosion you can hold in your hands? What guy doesn’t like blowing shit up? 🙂
- Science, bitches! They are an effective and practical demonstration of Applied Physics. Long distance precision shooting requires a solid grasp of physics and the implementation of math.
- They are simply fun!
- It’s a family-oriented activity. Really. It is!
- It’s an exercise in eye-hand coordination. Dentists tend to be good shooters.
- Stress reduction. It’s a Zen-like experience when focusing and hitting target. You become aware of (and have to control) your breathing, your state of mind, and your body. It’s meditative.
- It is quintessentially American. ‘Murica!
- Though I’m not a hunter, guns can put food on the table.
- It is an enumerated Right in the Constitution and the very foundation of how our country was created. The United States of America exists BECAUSE of private gun ownership. Owning a firearm is owning a piece of American history.
- It’s fun to share the experience with newbies.
- A firearm is an equalizer regardless of age, physical size or prowess, gender, social status, or political power.
- It is a symbolic, practical, and very effective bulwark against tyranny.
If you can think of more, post them in the comments below!