Why do I like guns?
- They are simple mechanical devices and among the few durable items that can be as functional 100 years later as the day they were made.
- They are powerful. It’s an explosion you can hold in your hands.
- They are a tool that enables me to defend the lives of my loved ones and my own. It’s a seat belt for life!
- They represent independence and self-reliance.
- They are functional art. Some firearms are beautiful to behold.
- They go BANG! They are loud. Did I mention it’s an explosion you can hold in your hands? What guy doesn’t like blowing shit up? 🙂
- Science, bitches! They are an effective and practical demonstration of Applied Physics. Long distance precision shooting requires a solid grasp of physics and the implementation of math.
- They are simply fun!
- It’s a family-oriented activity. Really. It is! Look at that smile!
- It’s an exercise in eye-hand coordination. Dentists tend to be good shooters.
- Stress reduction. It’s a Zen-like experience when focusing and hitting targets. You become aware of (and have to control) your breathing, your state of mind, and your body. It’s meditative.
- It is quintessentially American. ‘Murica!
- Though I’m not a hunter, guns can put food on the table.
- It is an enumerated Right in the Constitution and the very foundation of how our country was created. The United States of America exists BECAUSE of private gun ownership. Owning a firearm is owning a piece of American history. One might even argue that gun ownership is an American civic duty. In Kennesaw, Georgia there is a city ordinance (though not enforced):
(a) In order to provide for the emergency management of the city, and further in order to provide for and protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants, every head of household residing in the city limits is required to maintain a firearm, together with ammunition therefore.
- It’s fun to share the experience with newbies.
- A firearm is an equalizer regardless of age, physical size or prowess, gender, social status, or political power.
- It is a symbolic, practical, and very effective bulwark against tyranny.
- It distinguishes our country as uniquely Free among all nations in the world. The United States is the ONLY country in the world that enshrined the fundamental Right to Keep and Bear Arms in the founding document.
- If the government doesn’t trust its citizens with guns, why would the citizens trust the government with guns?
Finally, when your 15 year old daughter does this on her second time at 200 yards, how can you not be proud?!? 😀
If you can think of more, post them in the comments below!