19 responses

1. Ken
    October 6, 2017

Very logical and common sense written here but unfortunately logic and common sense seem to take a back seat in our country these days? A local guy was on the radio saying the same things you were saying about awareness and preparedness but my guess is his interview and advice went largely ignored? People don’t realize or more likely choose to ignore there already are gun laws in place. As a friend somewhat comically pointed out about this whole thing; “We need to pass a law that makes breaking the law illegal” but that would make about as much sense as passing a law to ban lightning wouldn’t it? 😉

• The Dental Warrior
      October 6, 2017

Thanks for your comments, Ken. I certainly cannot disagree. But, I’m going to keep trying to preach the “good word” about personal security and common sense (and easy) measures we can all take. I have to believe that, eventually, truth will win. I have to! 🙂

• Ken
        October 6, 2017

I agree, me too.

2. romo
    October 6, 2017

This is exactly what I needed to read today as I sit in my dark living room, reading the latest news to come out of LV, crying and feeling helpless.

My dad, who grew up in the Bronx, taught us situational awareness and what I call “city survival”. Most of my friends not only don’t understand my need to pick a seat in a restaurant with my back to a wall, they laugh at me for it. I’ve had many conversations with my two sons about how to stay as safe as possible in a movie theater or mall. I hope it has sunk in.

I work as an assistant in a dental office (only about an hour away from yours) in a strip mall where the young punk doctor requires the back door to remain ajar at all times so that he can get in without having to be bothered to use his keys. At best, this is a HIPAA violation due to old charts stored just inside the door. At worst, we all die when a junkie slips in looking for drugs and we don’t hear him over the compressor. No one else in the office seems to think it’s a bog deal so my concerns are ignored.

I would love to take a tactical first aid course. If you find one in central/south FL, please post the info.

• The Dental Warrior
      October 6, 2017

The doc leaves the back door propped open ALL DAY? If so, YIKES.

Thanks for chiming in with your comments!

3. Jim Van Eaton
    October 7, 2017

Mike,
    Thanks for the common sense. I too need to re-take my tactical first aid course. I do keep a gun shot first aid kit in my car, office, and home. I hope I never need to use them, but I hope I don’t ever need to use the fire extinguishers either.

4. Mike Kippenberger
    October 7, 2017

Hi Mike,

Great article. I grew up on a farm in Kansas and Oklahoma. Guns were always around.
    Never any problems. Mike, you are so right about this.

I’m sure Rosalita’s has an exit through the kitchen

Mike

• The Dental Warrior
      October 7, 2017

I’m going to refrain from making a joke about Tex-Mex (Rosalita’s) and an “exit.” 😉

5. michaelbenlevy
    October 9, 2017

This is a gun-mad country. No other nation has the problem that we have. The second amendment was designed to let a militia keep their arms at home. The elected officials who support NRA legislation have the blood on their hands for much of the violence that is a plague on this nation. And the media glorify the gun. And Michael glorifies the gun

• Andy Talacba
      October 9, 2017

The NRA does not write, nor pass legislation. The NRA supports people who are interested in protecting themselves with the use of guns, and who enjoy the use of guns as a recreational endeavor. So people like you, with comments like you wrote, are simple wrong, and have no business repeating silly ideas that you may have read or heard about. Your comment clearly shows that you have no idea whatthe NRA is about.

• The Dental Warrior
      October 9, 2017

Really? LOL! Got ANY references for your postulated notion about the “militia keeping arms at home?” Just one would be good. That’s some imagination you have. On the other hand I’ve got tons of references… letters, quotes, speeches and more from the Founders that patently defy your delusional proclamation. Do some homework and get back to us when you have some facts. 🙂

So, you disagree with the idea that increased situational awareness and a working knowledge of first aid would positive actions to take? Perhaps you can address the actual subject at hand here?

I glorify freedom in every form. And, that it bothers you so much is icing on the cake. Thanks for making my day! 😛

• Mimi
        October 13, 2017

Thank you Dental Warrior for contributing such a well reasoned piece to this firearms discussion.

• The Dental Warrior
        October 13, 2017

Thanks for chiming in, Mimi! And, keep up the good fight! 🙂

6. Andy Talacba
    October 9, 2017

If Mike ever gets his head out of his rectum, he will have a serious problem with sunburn thereafter. Mike is such a self-important, righteous and arrogant meaningless inhabitant of this planet. He pushes himself and his opinions on everyone, like his opinions are the best and the greatest and should be followed by everyone. Tsk, tsk. He is obviously overcompensating for his small stature. He’s so disrespectful of everyone in his chosen “profession” of dentistry. which, by the way, has about zero respect among those in the know. Anyone can write an article and express one’s opinion. Mike thinks he is going to save the world, if only everyone would follow his advice, and recognize him for it. Sadly, that will never happen

• The Dental Warrior
      October 9, 2017

So, besides indulging in ad hominem flowing like diarrhea from the wrong end of the tube…. It’s interesting that you claim I’m “pushing myself and opinions” on you. Yet, HERE YOU ARE. You’re the one that clicked over to my blog, all by yourself. Don’t like what I say or write? Don’t come here. LOL! I write this blog for ME. Really, it’s an entirely self-indulgent exercise, admittedly. It doesn’t matter to me, if I’m the only one that reads it, or others get enjoyment out of it. But, get this: 10,000 views per month on this silly little one-man-show blog!

Hey… This blog (and anything else I write or speak) has never been intended to please everyone. Again, my blog is intended to please ME. It’s quite therapeutic. Maybe you should try it? But, 10,000 times a month other people, of their own volition, come to read my musings. Nobody is forced to read anything I write. It’s a free country, dude. As a matter of fact, if I didn’t occasionally (or even more than occasionally) piss off, offend, or incite rage in some people, I’d be disappointed.

But, like I told the other malcontent further up in the comments… When you can dispense with the histrionic name-calling and come back with some facts, I’ll entertain them with due consideration. Otherwise, that I made you THAT angry is just another feather in my cap. Thanks for letting me live in your head rent-free and for making my day! 😛

Ya’ll come back now, ya heah? 😉

• Mimi
        October 13, 2017

Freedom of speech and the exposure of reasoned ideas can create a reaction. And yes expression is therapeutic.
        Continuing exposure to freedom of speech will sanitize the pathogen of false propaganda. It may take time, sometimes too much time, but truth will be known. I hope it’s not too late for truth to save civilization in a connected world. Again, thank you for a great passion for the truth well and nobly written.

• Mimi
      October 13, 2017

WOW! Self revealing invective is all you have to contribute to this serious discussion? Surely you can come up with one real comment to bolster the opposing view to Dental Warrior’s sincere editorial.

7. John
    March 17, 2018

For the first time I’m going to disagree. But only with the statement that we all want the same thing. It has become painfully obvious through their hypocracy that the left does NOT want to prevent these shooting incidents. In fact they want them to happen and they want them to be emotionally painful. They set up schools as gun-free zones. They refuse to act on problem students. Then they wait for the inevitable to happen. When it fits their agenda, out come the crocodile tears, the suspiciously well-planned protests, demonization of all gun owners, and a new incrementally designed gun ban.
    Without these tragedies, the left has no “great cause” to champion.

• The Dental Warrior
      March 17, 2018

Hi John. Thanks for your comments. I will say that I do not disagree. I do not believe your position is “far-fetched.” The more I look into it, the more I also believe you are on to something. The anti-liberty faction is not interested in “safety.” They have hijacked that word to justify their insatiable desire to CONTROL the rest of us. Our FREEDOM is the biggest threat to them.

That said, I also believe there are plenty of “anti-gun” people who genuinely want to feel safe. Unfortunately, they are operating on a very low level of knowledge about firearms and gun laws. Their intent is noble…. albeit misguided. It can be frustrating when they remain willfully ignorant. There are some that will listen to facts about firearms and existing gun laws. But, some are quite resistant to the “discussion” they claim to want to have.