Back in Steve Martin’s stand-up heyday, if he spaced out momentarily, he would say, “Sorry… I went to the Bahamas for a moment.” So, I borrowed from Martin to explain my brief absence on my blog. Tonight is the last night in my family’s week-long vacation to Bar Harbor, Maine. I’ll be home tomorrow.
While I didn’t go entirely “off the grid,” I’d say I was 98% “unconnected.” And, I survived!
Maine was wonderful and beautiful. It’s a stark contrast to the scenery at home in Florida. Here in Maine, I saw:
- Dense forests
- LOTS of water
- Unspoiled vistas
- A much slower pace
- Friendly (and polite) people
- Lobster on EVERY menu
- Cooler weather
- Slow drivers
- Quaint New England architecture
- Lots of American flags being flown (like that!)
- Beautiful wild flowers everywhere
- Acadia National Park (everyone should go!)
- Lobster trap buoys everywhere we looked on the water
- Seals (the cute sea mammal)
- Extreme quiet at the cottage we rented. Can’t hear a thing at night! Just silence.
- No television! (We got surprised when we checked into our cottage.. no TV!) Did the world end? What did I miss? The kids went through Sponge Bob withdrawal.
- Did I mention lobsters?
My recent appendectomy (about two weeks ago) slowed me down a bit. I missed my 30th high school reunion. But, I wasn’t going to miss a week in Maine. By the end of each day, my belly was quite sore. The soreness is exacerbated by wearing underwear and pants – a social requirement, so to speak. My surgical wounds are right at my belt-line. It would be nice if I could walk around naked for a week. 😉 But, the effort and discomfort was worth it. I wasn’t able to do any serious hiking. But, with a 7 and 10 year-old in tow, we’d be limited to light hikes in any case.
So, I’ve got a backlog of dental reviews and articles to do. Stand by for more good Dental Warrior “stuff.”