Google Analytics is a free service that can give you a plethora of data on how folks are finding and using your website. I highly recommend you have it installed on your website. This is done by embedding some tracking code in your website. It’s important to note that this code should be placed on EVERY PAGE of your website. Ask your web master to do this for you.
Why do I need Analytics?
I won’t go into every feature of Analytics at this point. But, among the data points you can distill from Analytics are:
- Number of visitors.
- Where the visitors are coming from (geographically).
- How the visitors are finding your site (referrals / links, search engines, direct, etc.)
- How many pages have been viewed in a given time period.
- How many pages (on average) are being viewed by each visitor.
- How long visitors spend on your website.
- Which pages of your site are being viewed (and how often).
- Which search terms are being used in the search engines.
- What kind of devices are being used by visitors (mobile vs. computers).
- Percentage of new visitors vs. returning visitors.
- And more!!
You can plot these against any time frame you want. All of this can help you fine tune your website to perform even better.
And, now in Real Time.
A new feature (still in “beta” form) is “Real Time.” Instead of seeing data on who has already BEEN on your site, you can see who’s on your site RIGHT NOW. Very cool! This feature is still a bit wonky. Some features work some of the time… mostly the map seems to come and go. But, it’s still neat to be able to watch how visitors are interacting with your site in real time.
Just tonight I was snooping on the Real Time Analytics of my dental practice website and found something a bit funny. The visitor on my site used the search terms “walk in dentist West Palm Beach” but at the time was on the Appointment Request page!
Give Google Analytics a try, if you haven’t already. Even if you get a similar monthly “report” from your webmaster, it’s nice to be able to run the reports and graphs any time you want. Check out the Real Time feature, too!
That’s all for now, Dental Warriors! Two posts in one day! Phew!